Saturday, July 16, 2011

PHOTO ESSAY: Wynwood

Last week, I spent seven days in South Florida with my Mother and family as she went through an elaborate valve replacement surgery in her heart. One of the nights I was there, I was lucky enough to crash with my longtime comrade, Chris McDaniel, who owns a nice little property on South Beach. Besides the usual hijinks (cruising the promenade for Models & stalking Michael Bay's house) Chris turned me onto a little area nearby called WYNWOOD. Wynwood is a major arts and fashion area in Miami, where there are literally blocks and blocks of buildings covered in graffiti and street art, from some of the biggest names around the world. I got up early (after a late night out) and took to the streets of Wynwood to try and capture a bit of the essence. You can check out some of my favorites below, and trust me, this is a very small portion of the area...


The famous American street artist Shepard Fairey seems to have been hanging around...


He also did a full mural on the inside of the famous "Walls at Wynwood" gallery (which unfortunately was CLOSED on Tuesday when I was there.)


You can also catch a glimpse of an original Space Invader in the back right corner of this shot... I don't know how I missed it. Other then dodging the scary looking homeless folks all over.


Can that be a Banksy?? Maybe..Maybe not.




























It really is a site to be seen, especially if you are a fan of Street Art. Check it out the next time you are in South Miami!

No comments:

Post a Comment